APJCC Summer Camp is now Camp Shalom!
Camp Shalom is a summer adventure for children ages 18 months through 16 years old.
Camp Shalom is open to all faiths and backgrounds.
We offer a variety of camp programs, from traditional day camp to specialty camps. Camp runs all summer long.
Our 2014 dates are June 9-August 15. Regular hours for grades K-10 are 9:00am-4:00pm, with Extended Care available in the morning from 7:30am-9:00am and in the afternoon from 4:00pm-6:00pm. For preschool camp hours, see individual camp descriptions. Extended Care is also available for preschool camps.
For more information, contact the camp office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408.357.7416.
What's New in 2014
- More swimming: In summer 2014, all campers (kindergarten and up) will swim EVERY DAY that they are on site. We have also DOUBLED swim time so that campers will swim for an entire hour.
- Longer camp day: We have lengthened the camp day! That’s right, we will now be hosting camp 9:00- 4:00pm, for full day campers (kindergarten and older).
- Easier registration: Starting in March, Camp Shalom will be offering a NEW and IMPROVED online registration system. This summer your family will have an online camp account where you can register, fill out forms, and go back to review enrollment information. No more filling out the same form over and over again! (To register before March, we have a printable registration form available, as well as the old online registration option for JCC members who have a credit card on file.)
New themes: We have fun new theme weeks this summer for our Yeledim, Sabra, and Kadima campers.
We offer sessions of varying lengths throughout the summer. We do not offer a drop-in option because we believe that an important part of the camp experience is for each child to develop a positive connection with a stable peer group.
Are you looking for camp sessions for the very beginning or end of the summer? Our Pre-Camp Week runs June 9-13, our Post-Camp Week runs August 11-15, and APJCC Dance Academy Summer Style and Soccer cover both of those weeks.
Click the links below to see details about our various camp offerings, including descriptions, dates, times, and fees.
Pashoshim (ages 18-24 months)
Katan (ages 2-4 years)
Yeledim (for children who will enter kindergarten in the fall)
Sabra (entering 1st or 2nd grade in the fall)
Kadima (entering 3rd-6th grades in the fall)
Madrichim (entering 7th or 8th grade in the fall)
Yoetz (Counselor in Training program for youth entering 9th or 10th grades in the fall)
- All Sports (entering 1st-6th grades)
- Soccer (entering 1st-6th grades)
- Tennis (entering 1st-10th grades)
- Pre-Camp Week and Post-Camp Week (entering grades K-6)
- APJCC Dance Academy, Summer Style (ages 4-8 years)
- Cheer and Dance (ages 7-10 years)
- Circus (entering 1st-10th grades)
- Culinary Creations (entering 1st-6th grades)
- Dodgeball, Swimming and GaGa (entering 1st-2nd grades and entering 3rd-6th grades)
- LEGO Engineering (ages 5-7 years and ages 8-12 years)
- Musical Theater (entering 1st-8th grades)
- Rock and Ride at Lake Tahoe (entering 7th-10th grades)
- Southern California Adventure (entering 7th-10th grades)
- Summer Hip Hop and Jazz (ages 7-10 years)
- Wilderness Adventure (entering 5th-8th grades)
- Inclusion Program for Children with Special Needs
Facilities on our 9-acre campus include a heated swimming pool with certified lifeguards on duty at all times, athletic field, tennis courts, gymnasium, 3 playgrounds, science and nature station, 2 creative arts studios, dance studios, kitchen, theater auditorium, and air-conditioned classrooms. We are located next to the Los Gatos Creek Trail and close to Vasona Park for nature activities.
Every member of our fun, friendly and engaging staff is CPR and first-aid certified, has completed a fingerprint scan and LifeScan, and has completed a camp orientation and training sesssion. Our counselor to camper ratio is 1:8, except in our preschool camps where the ratio in Camp Pashoshim is 1:4 and the ratio in Camp Katan cabins varies, following state licensing regulations for the different age groups (2, 3, and 4 year olds).
Andrew Mendes, APJCC Summer Camp Director
Andrew has been part of the APJCC Summer Camp family since 2008 and jas served as the camp director for the past 3 summers. He received his undergraduate degree from San Jose State University, double majoring in Recreation Management and Business Administration. When summer camp is not in session he serves as the JCC's Youth Director, overseeing a variety of youth enrichment programs. Andrew brings with him 12+ years of recreation experience at various organizations including City of Dublin Parks and Recreation, and Town of Danville Parks and Recreation.
In his free time he enjoy spending time with his family and 5-year-old son Matthew. His hobbies include sports, cooking, camping, and other various outdoor activities.
David McCullough, Camp Pashoshim and Camp Katan Director
David has been a here at the JCC since September 1991. His background is in elementary education and over the years has worn a variety of hats for the JCC. He has worked with the Preschool, Kidspace, summer camps, and sports and enrichment programs. During the school year he is a teacher in our Pre-K program and the Director of Enrichment Programs for Early Childhood Education.
He spends his time outside of work with his beautiful wife Elizabeth and trying to keep up with his eight-year-old daughter Samara.
American Camp Association (ACA) Accreditation
Camp Shalom is happy to announce that we are an American Camp Association accredited camp. ACA accreditation assures parents that the camp has had a regular, independent safety audit that goes beyond regulations in most states. ACA accreditation means that the Camp Shalom cares enough to undergo a thorough (over 300 health and safety standards) review of its operation — from staff qualifications and training to emergency management.
No accreditation process, no licensing program, no set of regulations or laws can guarantee safety. However, accreditation is the best evidence for parents that our camp is committed to providing a safe and nurturing environment for their children.